Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day 2 and 3

Yesterday I couldnt get to blog because the reseption was bad at the internet cafe here in tangalle. Yesterday we worked for 3 hours. After that we went to several opening ceremonies. The first one was at the library. The second one was at a school. The third one was at the town hall were we got to see the presentation for the dump truck and the backhoe that Kamloops raised money for. These things were lost in the tsunami 3 years ago. We saw people dancing and drumming to celebrate the opening. I got to meet the Canadian embasetor to Sri Lanka. She was really nice and she has invited us to come to the embassy in Colombo to have dinner with her. After the ceremony we visited Ketakalawata, a villige that my parents and many other people from Kamloops have worked on over the last several years. It was very cool to see people living in there new homes after there old homes were wrecked in the tsunami.
Today we worked for 6 hours back on the job sight. I tided rebar together and I mixed cement by hand which is very hard. Things are looking good at the job sight for three days of working there. I met some Ausralians today and they were very nice. After working I went swimming with my friend Stephanie and the water is very nice and warm. I am posting this blog from a computer school that Kamloops has helped raise money for. It's good to see Kamloops helping others in need around the world. I am trying to upload more pictures but the computers aren't cooperating. I will try to get pictures up a.s.a.p. Thanks for the comments I will wright soon. Raija

4 comments:

Don said...

Hi Raija: It sure was good to hear from you again. Some of your work days don't sound too tough! How is the food? How big are the waves at the beach? Why didn't they use the back-hoe to dig the 4x4x4 holes? Tell Travis to take a lot of pictures. It is -6 here this morning and very slippery from last night's snow and ice storm. Bet you wish you were here!! Love ya! Papa Don

Cam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cam said...

Way to go Raija!! I am a Project Leader with developingworldconnections, and Wayne just sent me your blogger link. I have been to Sri Lanka and helped build the very first house, and no one in Tangalle had ever heard of DWC then. A lot has changed I can see by your blogs!! Your writing paints a great picture of your experiences, I look forward to reading more, and remember to drink plenty of water. Oh yes, say Hi to Rhuan for me.
Cam Grant

Flying with the Eagles said...

Hi Raija!
It is 9:37 Wednesday night and I thought I'd write a quick note! I told Mrs. McKichan about you working with rebar - Mrs. McKichan is a "rebar queen" so she was quite impressed with all the hard work you are all doing over there. Thank you for all your pictures. My students are asking lots of questions. I would love it if you and Steph could come to my class after your trip and share your experiences! I am so proud of you two! Love to your parents.
Mrs. E