Sunday, January 13, 2008

Finally here!

It took us 47 1/2 hours to get from Kamloops to Tangalle. I am glad we are finally here! After landing in Colombo we got into vans and drove another 6 1/2 hours to Tangalle. I saw a lot of cool things on the drive like rice patties, tea plantations, palm trees, and lots and lots of crazy traffic (they drive on the other side here). We even passed 2 trucks with elephants in the back. I have never been so close to an elephant before in my life. When we arrived in tangalle we headed for the Palm Paradise. This is where we are staying for the next 2 weeks while we are working here. It is really nice at the Palm Paradise. I am staying in a cabana (cabin) with my friend Stephanie. Today (Sunday 13) we woke up at 6:00 in the morning to have breakfast then we left for the job sight  at 7:15. When we got there there was a ceremony. A buddhist monk came to bless the job sight and then we got to work. We had to dig holes for the foundation. They had to be 4' by 4' by 4' so it was pretty hard. We work for 6 hours today. We were all sweating. It is very humid here. After working we went back to the Palm and we all went swimming. It felt so nice to get into the ocean. The water is very warm, the beach is lovely and the waves are awesome to play in. It would be cool for you to share this blog sight with others so spread the word. Talk to you later. Raija

4 comments:

Danette said...

Hi Raija...you wouldn't remember me, but my daughter Kendra and you used to be best buds in the nursery at Kamloops Alliance before we moved to Edmonton. We have kept up with your group's project as we know your mom and dad, as well as Cliff,Donna and Mark Bergen. I just think it is so cool that you get to experience the Sri Lankian culture and its people. Can't hurt to "do school" from the beach and warm ocean either!! I can't imagine travelling for that many hours (especially for your dad and his long legs!!) Anyways, just wanted you to know that we are praying for your team to have a safe and successful project and that our thought are with you all.
From cold Alberta....Danette Thompson

Sam said...

Hey Raija.. we all miss you so much and i hope you are having lots of fun donw there it must be way different then here but everyone says hi hope you are haiving a great time i will keep comming back to see how you are doing love you lots SAMMIE(L)

Flying with the Eagles said...

Hi Raija! Wow what an experience you are having! It is great that you get to mix work with some play - swimming in the ocean is amazing! It is NOT swimming weather in Kamloops! The wind is very cold today and there is ice everywhere! No snow today! We saw Mike and Liz's baby - Stephanie - today at church. She is so CUTE! Say hi to everyone! Love Mrs.E. (I am sure THE BOYS will write you something tomorrow! - I know they miss you!)

the eagle has landed said...

Good Morning! (or afternoon or evening) This is the fifth attempt to send this message - hopefully it will work. We are having some problems with passwords using the school district computers.
THE BOYS want to say hi!
Raijjina, Ethan says, "I was sick this weekend so I didn't do very much. I'm still coughing (on Mrs. Eagles)!
George says, "I went to Fun Factor and then I went home and started knitting a scarf. My ride did not arrive for church yesterday. Boo Hoo!"
By the way Raija - George wrote "shave the legs."
Ethan and I are sitting on Mrs. Eagles' chair and it hurts.
So anyway - bye

Danika wanted to write a note...
Hey how's it going? I hope it is going well. Have fun there. Are the kids cute. Hand out the candy - they will like it.
Love ya all!
bye
Danika