Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sorry I haven't been talking for a while now I'm really buisy. I am having so much fun. Wednesday 16th we worked for 6 hours. It was long and hot but it was cool using different kinds of tools the we normally wouldn't use in Kamloops. After work my mom, Jen, and Steph went to a english school in a village called Ketakalawata. There we were able to meet the children and interact with them. It was cool that we got to sing and teach them songs. We took a lot of pictures of the children. After taking a ton of pictures we went outside and played games with them. We played duck duck goose and stuck in the mud. They loved playing the new games. Sometimes language was a barriere but we just smiled and nodded and it was o.k. I was able to see a monitor lizard in the bushes where I was sitting. It was about 2 feet long. How cool is that?! Today there was a bombing in Sri Lanka about 100 km from here. Don't worry, it was a ways from here. We are safe.
Jan 17
Today I was part of the concrete making crew. My job was to shovel sand into the cement mixer. 30 shovel loads a batch. Oh my aching back and blistered hands!!!!! For five days of working we have made a lot of progress. After work we went to the beach to play in the waves and sand. At 4:30 I had to go with my parents, Terry Lake and Terry Shupe to have tea with the Mayor of Tangalle. He had a big and beautiful house. Near the end of tea with the mayor, there were a whole lot of bats flying around us eating the bugs. Yikes. It is around 7:30 pm and I have to go have dinner now. Talk to ya soon, Raija

4 comments:

B.C.ers said...

Hi its nolan bergen and megan bergen we are the kids of cliff and donna bergen hope you are safe and have tons of fun.Call soon!

Char DeFehr said...

Hey Raija, Auntie Char again
Silly me I posted a comment way back when and I really wanted to post it here. so anyhow big hugs and love to all of you and I still want to see pics of Travis workin his butt off.

Love all of us @ the DeFehr/Olson House here in chilly Kamloops where there is not warm sanded Beach in Jan.

Flying with the Eagles said...

Awesome work Raija! Are your hands going to be healed enough to go back to school?! Going back to school with be a piece of cake for you and Steph compared to all the hard work you've been doing! It has been cold and icy here in Kamloops. We had to have an "inside" day today because of all the ice around the playground. Enjoy the warm weather! I look forward to reading your next entry!
Love, Mrs. E

Auntie Mitch said...

Hi Raija and Team! Ash and I are enjoying updates and the pictures, keep up the good work. Visited with Ethan and Dani yesterday and they're doing great, playing pool at papa's. It was nice to talk to Travis yeasterday and I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing great. Make sure you or your mom take Trav's picture if he decides to climb that palm tree! Love you all, Auntie Mitch